* You can walk 10,000 steps to justify your 500 calorie bagel
with cream cheese, or try this: low-fat spreadable cheese like
Laughing Cow Light on an English muffin. Saves 300 calories.
* The more you eat protein earlier on, the less you eat as the
day wears on, research has shown. So after your cereal, add a
hard-boiled egg or a part-skim mozzarella cheese stick to keep
you feeling full--and away from that pre-lunch brownie. Saves
200 calories or more.
* Instead of pouring that 1/3 cup of half-and-half (which is a
whopping 105 calories) into your mug, replace it with the same
amount of 2% milk. Saves 60 calories.
* You don't have to give up the real deal of butter--instead of a
tablespoon of stick butter, use a tablespoon of whipped and cut
half the calories. Saves 30 calories.
* Pick up an angel food cake for dessert. It's packed with air and
has fewer than half the calories of, say pound cake. Saves 70 calories.
* Use one mini whole-wheat pita instead of the usual two slices of
white or refined wheat bread for your sandwich. Saves 70 calories.
* Instead of a candy bar, try a sugar-free, reduced-calorie Jell-O
chocolate pudding snack with a squirt of nonfat whipped cream
topping. Eat it with a baby spoon to savor it longer. Saves 185 calories.