Everybody have a safe and happy 4th of July!
Choose the restaurants wisely and try to stay clear of
a buffet if they are too tempting for you to overeat.
Otherwise, use some common knowledge when at your
bar-b-cue, or here are some little reminders at places
where the food is served to your table and the choice is
1. Avoid unhealthy and high-calorie fats, choose steamed,
poached, broiled, baked, grilled, or roasted foods over deep-fried.
2.Pass on gravies and sauces. If you have a salad, ask for dressing
on the side.
3. Skip the appetizers, bread and butter, and other fillers. If you
must have something before your main meal, order a broth or
other light soup.
4. If you like wine at mealtime, have it with your main dish. Stick
with water while you're waiting.
5. For dessert, try herbal tea or decaffeinated coffee. If you can't
resist dessert, order something with fruit and split it with a dining
partner. Or if you are like me at times, I order my piece of cake
or whatever calorie laden item I like and share with the whole
6. If your order is way too large, don't try to finish it all at the table.
Ask for a carry-out-container. Make another meal of your leftovers
later on or for the next day.
7. Ask the waiter or waitress how a dish you're interested in ordering
is prepared. See if you can request healthy substitutions (baked
instead of fried, olive oil instead of butter.)
8. If you are too reserved to make a big deal out of the menu
just scan down the whole menu for already listed healthy choices
which most restaurants now accommodate. Bon appetit.