Sunday, July 02, 2006

plateau

As an on again off again dieter I haven't decided which word
makes me more frustrated, the word "gain" or the word "plateau.
Be realistic everyday will not be a loss. The plateau isn't that bad
as long as it doesn't turn out to be the great plains. We all know
that means it's time for a change in our approach. No need to
hash out what to do. Let's face it, we've been doing this for such
a long time we are walking diet gurus. Our drawlback is the non
use of total commitment, consistency, and patience. We may
see ourselves as a failure when our efforts are not paying off fast
enough. I'm here to tell you don't give up remember Kanter's law
"Everything can look like a failure in the middle."

Winning is often the results of persistence, of not giving up when
your goal appears to be in jeopardy. Adopt the attitude that if you
do something it will make a difference and that will build up your
confidence. Certainly there will still be moments and situations
that just aren't going to go your way. That is the time when your
confidence needs to be tempered by realism. Be careful not to be
over confident to the point of acting irrationally.

Hey, I lost one more pound and it hasn't even been a whole week
yet. I get excited over little things. I can even encourage myself,
if need be. Maybe that is why I'm finally on my way to caring about
how I look and feel physically. Nothing taste as good as thin feels!
I can still remember that far back. It's awful late and that puts me
in a danger zone of getting hungry for a late night snack. I'm going
to nip that thought right in the bud, I'm outta here!

2 comments:

Askazombiehousewife said...

When I have a gain sometimes changing my workout puts me in a better mood. Having a gain when you've been trying your best can be hard.

Someone told me a plateau can be practice maintinance. Meaning if your weight stand still than you can keep it off once you lose it. My weight either gains or loses plateaus are rare so I go up food calories/ww points when I loose and go down when I gain.

Lisa Speegle said...

You shouldn't get discouraged so easily. A healthy weight loss is about a pound a week. Also keep in mind that hydration, time of day (that you weigh yourself), time of month (for women), and food you've eaten in the past 12 hours can have an effect on the scale.

You may want to look for other markers of success such as buying a pair of pants or dress 1 size smaller then you currently wear. Hang it where you can visibly see it. It will be a constant reminder of your goal. Try them on every week to two weeks. When you fit into the new size, go buy the next size smaller.

Remember you didn't gain the weight overnight, so you can't expect to lose it overnight.

Keep up the great work!